Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dogs and Missions

These two don't seem to have much in common, but the past two weeks have sort of brought them together. During all of our years in Kazakhstan, we never felt we could own a dog since it would be hard to handle with furlough schedules, plus apartment living and really cold winters just seemed incompatible with dog ownership. Although lots of local folks did have dogs. Our kids missed having pets - especially Naomi always wanted a dog. It was one of the many small things that they did give up by growing up there, although there are so many things they gained. But now that we're stateside, we decided last week that it was time. So Lizzy, a Dalmation/American Bulldog mix, is now part of our family.

It is noteworthy that we brought Lizzy home just two days after a dog of our missionary colleagues, who live in a village in Kazakhstan, saved their lives by waking them up in the middle of the night to a house fire. They all escaped unharmed, but the dog was too panicked to leave the house with them through the smoke and flames and perished. Ringo will go down in dog history as a hero. Fortunately the house wasn't destroyed, but many of their belongings were ruined by the smoke damage.

So who knows how the Lord might use Lizzy in the life of our family?!

1 comment:

Dan Griffiths said...

Jim, before I went into the ministry I had a dog, a dalmation named Sparky. I kept her for about 5-6 years after I went into the ministry. Finally I had to put her down.

I have not had another pet since then. I have thought about getting another pet, but dont because of concerns about taking care of the pet when I have to be gone.

I am glad that you have Lizzy. Is Lizzy an inside dog or outside dog?