Friday, March 14, 2008

Airplanes and Human Nature

I wonder if any psychologist has done a disseration on human nature on airlines. Having just finished a 14-hour flight from Atlanta to Seoul and looking forward to another 6 hours here in a while to get me on to Bangkok, it's sort of fresh in my mind now. Of course, when I say "mind," remember I'm on 24+ hours of no sleep.

What's interesting is how the "competition" shifts. First, the competitors are those jockeying for a position in line. And the enemy are those who try to board before their zone. If you happen to be an airline club member, thus allowed to board first, you definitely deserve to get on first and you might get frustrated at the low life types who don't give way. Of course, if you don't have that perk, then you look with disgust at the folks who waltz to the front of the line. Who do they think they are, anyway?!

Once on the plane, now it's the overhead bins. On one flight you are thankful for the empty space a couple rows back, since your bin is full. On another flight, you conjure up tortures that would be appropriate for the bum two rows up who put his suitcase in your overhead bin. And it goes on - fighting over the armrest or thinking evil thoughts about the guy in front who leans his seat back, planting the video screen firmly against your nose. On and on.

When the flight is over, everyone goes separate ways and all is forgotten. But what about when things go wrong. In coming back from Kazakhstan last December, we were delayed 19 hours. All of a sudden, the other passengers were no longer competitors, but we felt a sort of comeraderie; even friendship. One lady showed Shawn and me her daughter's wedding photos. I'm sure people who survive a serious scare or accident on an airline even develop a sense of community that goes beyond the flight itself.

Are we really that utilitarian? If someone is in my way, he/she is a member of the impersonal "they" who are out to inconvenience me? But if someone and I together are put upon by another "they," then we become fast friends. Hmmm. Well, in about an hour I'll have the opportunity for an attitude check!

No comments: