Monday, November 16, 2015

Processing Paris, Refugees, Fear, Neighbors, Terrorism and Tired Huddled Masses

When scary, horrible things happen, everything in us wants to react in some way. We feel out of control. We don't understand why. And it is a horrible feeling, so we as humans have a tendency to make hasty conclusions and decisions in our attempt to avoid feeling the pain of reality. Unfortunately, those judgments and decisions are not always in our or anyone’s best interests. I dusted off this dormant blog and offer these reflections as part of my own processing in hopes that they might help others process these recent events as well.

Along with most of my countrymen and women and many people in other nations, I am still reeling in shock about the killings in Paris. Yes, I am well aware of the horrendous bombing in Lebanon - I was saddened about that. The mosque bombings in Iraq, the ongoing Boko Haram violence in Nigeria, oh, and the many others that don't even make the first row of headlines on my news app. So first, I want to address this meme I am seeing as people process and jump to conclusions. I will be honest, even though I am a global citizen, have lived over 10 years outside the USA, and have friends in over 40 countries, yes, the Paris killings hit me emotionally more than some of the other recent tragedies. I expect that's true for many (certainly not all) of my countrymen and women. Does that make us shallow? Perhaps. Ethnocentric? Welcome to the human race.

My brother lost two sons in a car accident 9 years ago yesterday. The grief was horrible. I still nine years later feel grief and emotion about that loss. I do not have the same level of emotional grief about other young men lost in hundreds of car accidents across the globe since that time, but I still grieve my nephews. Does that make me hypocritical? Insensitive? Do I not value all life? There is a difference in the intrinsic value of life that all have as children of God and the relational value someone has to me because of our closeness. Grieving more for my nephews does not imply that I think other life does not have equal value, but just that I am more impacted by their loss.

I think the same is going on with Paris for many (not all) in the USA. Many of us have been there. France is our nation’s oldest ally. To many (not all) of us, Paris itself represents love and romance, beauty and western culture. So the image of shooters killing young people in cafes in Paris not surprisingly will have a greater emotional impact on many (not all) than a similar event happening elsewhere. That says nothing about the intrinsic value of life or the intrinsic level of evil – it simply says the connection is stronger for many of us, thus the impact feels greater. I would anticipate most Kenyans grieved much more intensely and had much more news coverage over the horrible massacre at Garissa University than they did over the bombing in Bangkok.

So my suggestion – let people grieve and process as they need. There is ample time later for us to discuss the global challenges and, yes, our media’s tendency to imply varying degrees of value to life based on country of origin or ethnicity. For now, let’s stand with people in their grief – not scold them for grieving incorrectly.

Now to fear – yes, this is scary stuff. But even if an attack like this happened weekly in our country, it would still not match the number of deaths to car accidents. Yet we all still drive and don’t write excoriating posts about the stupidity of getting behind the wheel of our cars. I’m not proposing we don’t try to prevent attacks. I’m just saying we don’t always apply cold logic to risk, but respond more in fear and emotion. People often ask about risk to our missionaries and I remind that the number one cause of death among missionaries is car accidents! But we still allow them to ride in cars.

I have seen several governors, including my own in Georgia, stating that they do not want any Syrian refugees in their states. Oh, my Facebook wall is full of posts praising these bold actions as well as snarky posts saying it is stupid. Yes, the fear is real. Yes, one of the terrorists in Paris did come with refugees. So I understand the reaction and the sentiment and will not call any one coming to that conclusion stupid and will avoid snarky reactions.

That said, I ask you to consider that these refugees are fleeing from the same systems that produced the violence in Paris, Lebanon, Libya, Nigeria, and other places. They didn’t leave by choice. Should tens of thousands of refugees be punished because of the actions of a handful? Are the famous words on the Statue of Liberty now to be amended so that “huddled masses” are no longer welcome because they might have a bad guy among them? Perhaps we should take a big, deep collective breath and consider how we can reduce the risk of the bad guys while at the same time offering hospitality to the thousands who are dispossessed and have lost everything. If we meet them with hostility, all we do is give breeding ground for more marginalization and despair, which is fodder for the bad guys. Further, we might lose our own soul in the process. If, like me, you are a follower of Christ, then our marching orders on such matters are pretty explicit – welcome the stranger and protect the alien. Hard to get around that one!

Finally, another area of fear. Muslims in general. I’ll try to keep this brief although I could write pages about this, but there are articles that do better if people will simply take the time to read them. There are bad Muslims and they do use elements of the Islamic religion to justify horrendous actions. No question. And they are very scary. But they are a very, very small minority of the 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide. All the main streams of Islam and their scholars have denounced ISIS and Al-Qaida. All. They just don’t get much press since it doesn’t fit with the oversimplified narrative. There are many, many, many more Muslims dying at the hands of the extremists than Christians or westerners.

We lived in a predominantly Muslim country for ten years. We were embraced, offered hospitality and friendship. This is a very common experience for foreigners among Muslims except in those few places where extremists hold sway. It saddens me to know that Muslims who have suffered often at the hands of other Muslims, lost everything, spent years in refugee camps, and finally realize a dream of a new life in the USA are met with hostility and suspicion. And the irony is that it is hostility and suspicion that can lead to marginalization and vulnerability to becoming radicalized. That’s what the Paris attack planners hoped to create – more recruits.

This is not naivety – I know there are bad extremists who want to send people to kill. And they will do that until they are defeated. But I firmly believe they will be defeated much quicker if we can build bridges to the many millions of Muslims who just want to raise their families and live a peaceful life. If we think bombs are the solution, I’m afraid we are misguided – every bomb creates space for more extremists. The battle has to be fought equally fervently for the hearts and minds of these populations – and we have allies here among our Muslim countrymen and women if we will but reach out and build relationships.

Jesus said that perfect love casts out fear. And we know we are commanded to love everyone – neighbor and enemy. So if we are fearing our Muslim neighbors, that means we are not loving them and are thus disobeying another pretty direct command of our Lord.

Lots of stuff here – I don’t purport to have all the answers nor could I put it all down in two pages if I did. Only politicians can do that! But I do invite all to process thoughtfully, prayerfully, and reflectively. For believers in Jesus, what do His words and actions tell us? What do other words from the Bible speak in this context? Maybe invite a Muslim neighbor or coworker for coffee and listen to his or her story, what are his fears, what are her aspirations? You might find this exercise will help you process Paris, refugees. It might lessen your fear and help restore hope in humanity. And you might even discover a friend.

9 comments:

June Burton said...

Thank you, Jim, for your Christian viewpoint. I have been excoriated on my own timeline, for even trying to maintain some sort of balance. It's so sad that the refugees fleeing this kind of terror are made to suffer even more, because of it. We, as Christians, are not called to do what's easy, but what reflects the love of God, as exemplified by his Son.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm a long term missionary living in Russia. I came across this blog by way of a link on Facebook.

I do not in any way intend to be argumentative or troublesome, but I have an honest question for you: if you were to convert a Muslim from Islam to Christianity in Kazakhstan, what would be the reaction of the local Muslims to both you and the convert?

I ask because a Turkish friend of mine converted to Christianity and his family and friends tried to kill him for it. Ditto another friend from Tajikistan. These family members are not extremists; they are 'normal' Muslims in their home countries.

I truly do welcome your thoughts. Blessings to you in all that you do.

Jim said...

Hi - I hope you are able to read this response, although I can't do it justice in a comment. No doubt conversion is a touchy topic in many contexts and in some, such as your friend in Turkey, it can be life-threatening. In Kazakhstan, I don't think it would be life-threatening in most cases, but it can create a break in the family. The community would certainly not look favorably - any more than my community in metro Atlanta would look favorably on a Muslim trying to convert Christians from our church. Islam does have pretty strong teachings about conversion and the whole concept of "uma" makes it a real break of covenant and it brings shame on the family - both things that are difficult for many of us in the west to appreciate. Please know, I'm not making excuses, just painting the picture. I do not think death is the norm in most contexts, but certainly social pressure and even ostracism is widespread, even where laws purport to allow freedom of conscience. In Kazakhstan we saw the gambit - from indifference to unhappiness to attempts to force the person back into the Muslim faith.

The sad thing is that in many cases, the response of the community has little or nothing to do with faith in Jesus, but everything to do with shaming the family and breaking the covenant. So what would happen if we focused on Jesus, who He is, and how we can have salvation and become part of His Kingdom, rather than focusing on conversion to a religion? In our minds those may seem synonymous, but that change in framing what happens when we make Jesus our Lord can make a huge difference.

I hope that helps. My hope in my friendships with Muslims is that we have mutual respect for our religious traditions. I want them to meet the Jesus I know, have a saving experience of His love, then let them work out with Him what that means in terms of their identity and community. But I don't see my job being to convert him or her to my religious tradition any more than the church leaders of Acts 15 decided that Gentiles had to become Jews to follow Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful to hear your perspective.

I share your hope that my friendships with Muslims will be mutually respectful. I had dinner a few nights ago with some Saudi guys, and we had a great time.

I agree with you that we should not by any means try to make a person enter into our religious tradition. We are called to baptize people and make disciples of Jesus; that very often looks different in different cultures.

(I think the issue in Acts 15 was more about whether or not the Mosaic Covenant applies to gentile believers, not so much about a particular religious tradition. The issue was: “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses” in order to be saved.)

Again, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Jim for President! If you can add an economic policy, address environmental concerns, etc, you might have a shot.

Hedstrom family said...

Thanks, Jim, for your thoughtful comments. I posted them to Facebook. Lord have mercy.

Robert Pointer said...

Jim,
Long time since we have communicated but this subject seems to need to be met with some practical answers rather than the usual generalities.
If we assume there is no threat of terrorists accompanying the legitimate fleeing refugees, the there is nothing more to be said; our American tradition in that regard is well established, to say nothing of our Christian obligations. Unfortunately, we all know that it is not the case and we also know that with todays technology, one terrorist can, and will, eventually raise untold havoc somewhere in this country. Heaven help us if that only one occasion would be a nuclear device! Iran and/or some perverted ruler such as lives in North Korea could and would do this if allowed, We are The Great Satan and Israel is the Little Satan, after all.
Why not, then use our God given logic as well as our God given compassion, and be cautious as well? I propose that
we have a rigid program of holding all refugees in a temporary location where they can be "vetted" before being released to known sponsors, who would then at least be a primary source of follow-up as to future location. To do anything less seems to me to be so naïve as to deny the logic that God gave us.
To quote an Air Force unit's motto: "In God We Trust, All Others
We Monitor!" To do less is, to me, folly.
God Bless,
Bob

Jim said...

Robert,
Great to hear from you. I didn't get into the vetting, but I fully agree that precautions have to be made, but the principle is the same. I would encourage you to look at what the current vetting process is for refugees. It is MUCH more rigorous than for tourists, students, or even asylum seekers. In fact, they are in refugee camps often for years, vetted first by the UN. Then once the UN has determined they are eligible for resettlement and assigned to the USA (the refugee cannot choose the country), then the USA goes through another very thorough vetting complete with interviews, FBI checks, etc. It is a very different picture than people pouring across European borders - or even our southern border. Perhaps give the local World Relief or other refugee service a call and they can inform on the process - it is very thorough and, actually, most refugees allowed in are women, children, and older men.

Jim said...

That said, I want to emphasize that the purpose of this post was to encourage reflection in the light of Scripture, not to propose a particular solution. My concern is that reactions are coming out of fear and lack of information. If there is concern about terrorist among the refugees, then let's do the research to validate or invalidate that concern and consider what can be done. If there is concern that refugees become a drain on society, let's test that and see what the data shows.